Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F' (2015)


       Who remembers staying up late at night to watch anime especially on Toonami? I bet basically almost all 90's era kids did which includes myself and friends. One of the most popular shows that aired was Dragon Ball. Unlike most anime (or even cartoons in general), DB has become amazingly popular since its release in the United States alone. Now I'm not going to lie, Dragon Ball (including all its seasons) wasn't my favorite show but whenever it was the only thing on; I didn't complain. It was amazing but, the younger version of me didn't like the maturity in it so; I brushed it off. That was probably one of my biggest mistakes but now, since I'm more mature to fully understand; DB is coming back into my life (in small dosages). The first film I've ever seen was DBZ: Battle of Gods in theaters a year ago and it was the reason why I got back into the series. Recently I went to see this year's animated feature, DBZ: Resurrection 'F', after hearing about it on a Japanese Science Fiction blog (http://www.scifijapan.com/). I may not be a hardcore fan but, I do recognize most of the show's famous characters including Frieza; and that was the main reason why I wanted to watch it. Resurrection 'F' basically involved the return of Dragon Ball's most iconic villain after being brought back to "life" thanks to the magical dragon Shenron. Upon regaining his full strength (then some), Frieza and his army heads to Earth to have a vengeful rematch against Goku (whom also reached a new level in power).

    This film was outstanding to witness in theaters as it brought back childhood memories once more. The animation was quite beautifully outdone (even better than Battle of Gods). All old characters returned (either in cameos or joining the fight) which can include but not limited to: Hercule, classic Krillin, Piccolo, Gohan, and many more. I for one was happy to see Krillin again but, Piccolo is still my favorite character. Frieza's goons ranged from human-like beings to strange extraterrestrials (including a frog and a muppet) but, they never stood a chance against Earth's defenders. I enjoyed the comedy and the action in the film. The action was fast paced yet took up more than half of the film while the comedy broke serious tensions thanks to either Frieza's sarcastic blows or Goku's usual antics. They included the newest characters Whis and Beerus from the last animated movie; whom acted more as comedic relief. I was personally hoping for more involvement from Beerus but, beggars can't be choosers. Both Goku and Vegeta held their own throughout the film (either against Whis' training or both going Super Saiyan God) but, nothing really changed with their ally/enemy relationship. If I had to choose a favorite scene, I would like to say the short fight between Super Saiyan God Vegeta against Golden Frieza (literally a golden version of Frieza's final form). Even though that was the scene in which Frieza destroyed the planet, it was probably one of my most memorable mainly because of Vegeta's Super Saiyan God form.



    My rating for this film is a golden 5 out of 5. It was an outstanding animated film since it had a quick pace to it from beginning to end, and great comedy between the fighting sequences. Frieza was a total badass and I enjoyed his character. The beginning of the film though kind of surprised me since the audience was introduced to Frieza's personal hell (i.e. dancing stuffed animals) but, I felt afterwards that it was the best (and creepy) way to start the movie. I enjoyed watching Vegeta and Goku fighting again alongside other great characters. If you're already too late to watch Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F' in theaters then you must at least watch it either on DVD/Blu-Ray; Youtube, Netflix, or whatever because you're missing a truly epic animated film. A great fight to end all fights with good laughs, amazing animation, toe-to-toe destructive fights; and memorable characters. Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F' is worth the time and/or money.

"Let me show you my further transformation!"
   

No comments:

Post a Comment